Friday, July 27, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

After seeing the many posts, pictures, and quotes from the John Green book Looking For Alaska on tumblr, I added the book to my increasingly long "Must Read" list.  It wasn't until my mom got The Fault in Our Stars from the library, finished it, and couldn't stop raving about it, that I finally started to actually put my goal into action and read a John Green book.  Let me tell you, I haven't regretted any second of it.  I'm currently reading Looking For Alaska but have since finished The Fault in Our Stars and one of my new favorite books, Paper Towns.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
This book was unlike any book I had ever read before.  Although the main characters were somewhat younger than me and were living through much more hardship, I immediately felt connected through our mutual trouble with growing up, keeping friends, parental relationships, and getting lost in literature.  All of the characters were so enjoyable and, as cliche as it may sound, inspirational.  While I call the characters inspirational, do not assume that they are ever-optimistic and content with their numbered days.  I find these characters inspirational because, although they don't let their diseases dictate their every move, they each have a different approach to their own lives, and none of them are perfectly optimistic and happy.
This story really put my own life in perspective.  Again, as cliche as it might sound, it did truly show me how lucky I am to be healthy.  I have known, and I'm sure almost everyone has known, at least one person that has been affected by cancer.  John Green really puts into perspective how someone so close to my age can be affected by such a horrible disease, and how much appreciating my family, friends, and health is important.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers