Sunday, July 29, 2012

Women's Olympic Volleyball

   I haven't played volleyball competitively since October or November of last year.  Our team ended earlier than I had ever hoped for, and, as bad as it sounds, by the bittersweet end of the season, my optimism, smiles, and love for the sport had worn away.  By the end of the season, I mean after the last game that I fought in 100%, after the tears I shed taking my shoes off for the last time, and after I went home where I had time to look back on the season, I had every right to be angry and let-down, because I had nobody looking up to me for uplifting any longer.
   It hadn't been until I saw the first USA Women's Olympic Volleyball game that I truly regretted not playing club ball, not going to any open gyms, and not even picking up a volleyball until months after my season ended.  The spirit, skill, and power of the women on this team is inspirational.  It might be the entire spirit of the Olympics that's getting to me (I am a HUGE fan of the Olympics, the World Cup, and basically anything that brings the whole world together like this,) but this team has truly reminded me of the teamwork, spirit, and confidence that the game of volleyball encompasses; characteristics that, at times, my team seemed to lack.
   I am so incredibly excited to see how far this team will go.  You can count on me watching every single game I can, cheering, yelling, clenching my fists, clapping, and forever sitting on the edge of my seat, or even jumping around the room, because this team has reminded me why the game of volleyball has changed my life.
   (And not only will I be watching women's volleyball religiously, but I'm watching the men, and both men's and women's beach volleyball as much as possible!)
   I seriously recommend this sport to anyone and everyone, it's incredibly fun, fast-paced, and always intense!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers