Monday, June 11, 2012

Building the Nostalgia



We had a little surprise get-together for my friend's 18th birthday the other day, and it was a huge success! Somehow, she had no idea of our intentions, even with the multiple times we knew that she had to have seen our secret Facebook messages or sly texts... Somehow though, we pulled it off and our night of surprise food, music, cake and friends was fabulous (just like her!)
We spent the night siting around on our other friend's back deck, over looking the lake, forgetting about the ten-page English paper that was due the next morning and the multiple tests that we should have been studying for, and instead enjoyed each other's company because we knew that although we still had two more months of summer, this would be one of the last times we would all be seeing this group together, and it marked the end of an era of seeing each other, the same people that we've spent the last thirteen years growing up with, every day.
This year, I couldn't wait until the day of graduation came when I wouldn't have to step through these hallways or see the same people ever again, but as the days numbered and the real "lasts" started to happen, it really sank in. These people, that at the beginning of this year I couldn't wait to get away from, were the people I held the most memories with. These were the people that I had grown up with, that I laughed and cried with, that I fought with, secretly hated, but ultimately loved. Suddenly, the thought of spending the last thirteen years with the same groups of people became not a burden, but a gift. I am so thankful for all the memories that I have been able to create with my classmates, and although I never let myself admit it before, I will truly miss them all a ton.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers